Severn Trent helps the Midlands to build back better
Wednesday 19th May 2021
Severn Trent is helping the Midlands region to build back better by creating thousands of new jobs, while delivering big improvements for customers, communities and the environment.
The water and waste company has published its full-year results today (Wednesday 19th May 2021), in the same week it announced plans to create 2,500 new jobs through an ambitious Green Recovery programme.
Under the scheme, Severn Trent will invest £565m over the next four years to help the environment and improve infrastructure for future generations across the region.
The company’s results also revealed it has cut sewer blockages by 30%, reduced year-on-year sewer flooding by 31% and installed over 80,000 water meters leading to improvements in leakage and water efficiency.
For customers and communities in the Midlands, it has:
• Been named as the official nature & carbon neutral supporter of the Birmingham Commonwealth Games – including plans to create 2022 acres of brand-new forest and 72 tiny forests
• Recently completed work on a brand-new training academy in Coventry, as part of a wider £10m investment in skills and training;
• Worked in partnership with Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Wildlife Trust to help bring beavers back to the region;
• Supported over 400 non-profit organisations with more than £3.5m of grants and donations;
• Welcomed the first of 500 16 to 24-year-olds who will join the business as part of the Government’s Kickstart Scheme;
• Committed to provide 100,000 hours of free employability training in the community; and
• Helped customers who are struggling to pay their bills, by making £3.5m available as part of the Severn Trent Trust Fund
This wide-ranging support has been delivered while still having one of the lowest bills in the country, with customers getting all their clean and wastewater services for around £1 per day.
Liv Garfield, Severn Trent Chief Executive, said: “We’ve provided an absolutely vital service to our customers and our communities during what has been a year like no other. Our focus is now on helping our region to recover and build back even stronger.
“Our Green Recovery investment will create thousands of jobs, ensure our customers receive the best possible service and lead to major environmental benefits across the region.”