How boring would it be if we were all cut from the same cloth? And how ill-equipped would we be to serve the communities who trust us to do right by them?
That’s why at Severn Trent we positively celebrate diversity and inclusion, truly embracing individuals’ contributions, no matter what their age, gender, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, social background, religion or belief.
Having a culture that embraces individuals to be wonderful in their own right, is a vital part of the future of our success.
Our strategy is simple
When it comes to our strategy, we know we’re making great progress, but they is always more to do. That’s why we’re focusing on:
- Creating a workplace that’s fair for all, where everyone feels they can bring their entire selves to work, where they know they’ll be treated fairly, with the opportunity to succeed regardless of their background and personal circumstances.
- Representing the communities we serve, the Severn Trent region is wonderfully diverse, we serve people from every walk of life, all with different needs – so we want our colleagues to truly reflect that.
Our 2025 Diversity and Inclusion plan outlines our commitments and how we plan to be a force for good, breaking down myths, stereotypes and barriers, so that we can influence the life chances of future generations – but also touches on the progress we’ve already made.
To contribute to our progress, we’ve set up four networks to represent our colleagues. Their aim is to influence our overall Diversity and Inclusion Strategy, contributing to plans and making sure these are delivered.
Just as importantly, they connect with colleagues to support their learning and network with external groups.
We're making great strides
The progress we’ve made hasn’t happened by accident. We know there is still much more we want to do, but that doesn’t distract from how proud we are of the progress wehave made. It’s the result of lots of deliberate actions, and we couldn’t be more passionate about getting this right.
Here’s some of our most recent achievements:
- 14th on the FTSE 100 Tortoise Responsibility Index (2022)
- 5th in the Social Mobility Index (2022)
- Level 2 Disability Confident Employer
- Top 100 (23rd) in Stonewall UK Workplace Equality Index 2023, achieving a Gold Award for our commitment to being a truly inclusive LGBTQ+ employer
- 3rd for Women on the Board and 21st for Senior Female Representation in the (Hampton Alexander Review) 2023
- 4th year in Gender Equality index, with our highest ever score
- Armed Forces Covenant Silver Award (going for Gold)