Membership: Audit and Risk Committee, Corporate Sustainability Committee, Nominations Committee
Sharmila brings extensive Board and governance experience, gained in a variety of roles spanning the private sector, public sector and NGOs. She brings sectoral experience from a range of regulated sectors including medicine, bioethics, financial services and the media. She is Chair of the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE), the organisation that assesses clinical and cost effectiveness of drugs, medical devices and interventions in health and social care.
Her previous executive roles include Chief Executive of the Association of Medical Research Charities and Chief Operating Officer at BBC Future Media & Technology, where she managed the business functions of bbc.co.uk, including the launch of iPlayer. Previous non-executive roles include Chair of the Human Tissue Authority, Deputy Chair of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority and Non-Executive of the Pension Protection Fund.
Sharmila read Physiological Sciences (Medicine) at the University of Oxford. She is a chartered accountant and was awarded an OBE in 2014 for services to medical research.
- Non-Executive Director of Hafren Dyfrdwy Cyfyngedig, the Group’s licensed entity in Wales
- Chair of National Institute of Health and Care Excellence
- Non-Executive Director of National Savings & Investments
- The Health Foundation – Governor
- Non-Executive Director of Coutts & Co
- Trustee Director of Glyndebourne Productions Limited