Capital Markets Day: Sustainability
Catch up on videos, slides and presentation transcripts from Capital Markets Day 2020
Our Capital Markets Days are a great opportunity for us to provide you, our financial stakeholders and investors, with important updates and announcements about our future plans and commitments.
In 2020, our Capital Markets Day is themed around sustainability.
Our approach to sustainability
Our approach to sustainability can be summarised across three broad headings.
- Taking care of the environment
- Helping people to thrive
- Being a company you can trust
The importance of the natural environment to the success of our business cannot be understated.
Taking care of precious resources, while using nature as a source of innovation and climate change mitigation, is a fundamental part of our approach to sustainability.
Triple Carbon Pledge
In our Triple Carbon Pledge session, we outline how we'll be meeting the following commitments by 2030
- Net zero carbon
- 100% electric vehicles¹
- 100% renewable energy
¹Assumes suitable specialist vehicles such as tankers become available within that time window.
Restoring the natural habitat
Our Restoring the natural habitat session outlines how we'll be meeting the following commitments:
- Enhance the biodiversity of 5,000 hectares of land (1% of the national target) by 2027
- Halve the number of pollutions in our region over the next five years
- Improve the quality of a further third of the region’s rivers, equating to 2,100km
- Working to improve 44 of our most important catchments
Managing water scarcity
In our Managing water scarcity session, we outline how we'll be meeting the following commitments:
- Deliver a 15% reduction in leakage by 2025 and committing to a 50% reduction by 2045
- Reduce customer water consumption by 3.5%, or 36 million litres a day, by 2025
- Play a vital role in creating a national solution to the balance of water across North and South England
Helping people to thrive
The Helping people to thrive session outlines how we will be meeting the following commitments:
- Working with the sector to eradicate water poverty
- Creating an inclusive work environment and caring for our colleagues
- Donating 1% of profits (c. £10m) into a community fund over the next five years
Christine Hodgson (Chair) and Bronagh Kennedy (Company Secretary) speak about how the right Governance allows us to be a company you can trust, through:
- Living our values
- Balancing the interests of all our stakeholders
- Running our company for the long term
- Being open about what we do
Question and Answer session
Liv Garfield (Chief Executive) closes the day explaining that we see sustainability as business as usual, but ultimately it will be our actions, not our words, that we will be judged on.
- Followed by a Q&A session with the audience