Thank you for your interest. We are no longer accepting applications for this programme, with the last date for applications submitted on Sunday 21st March 2021.
Technology Digital Engineering Graduate
Our purpose is to deliver one of life’s essentials, and our teams are dedicated to maintaining the flow of water to and from our customers’ homes. We’re continually investing in our people and infrastructure, so everyone can tap into the wonderful water we provide well into the future.
That continual investment includes the building of cutting edge infrastructure and applications across our IT estate to ensure that we can continue to operate in a safe and secure environment across our communities.
Start Date: Autumn 2021
Technology at Severn Trent - Who we are
Our highly talented Digital Engineering Team covers 3 core areas spanning multiple disciplines.
- Solution Architecture and Design
- Cloud Engineering
- Digital Engineering and DevOps
Broadly speaking, we’re responsible for everything from designing an IT solution to a set of requirements, all the way up to deploying that solution in to the estate. Between us, we have a full 360 view of an application lifecycle, from concept design, implementation, business-as-usual operation all the way to end of life decommissioning.
Our Digital Engineering Graduate Programme provides a unique opportunity to join our fast growing and experienced team, right at the close of a huge cloud migration programme. You’ll learn how to design, build and deploy solutions to meet the growing needs of the business and our customers through hands on work and through a comprehensive programme of technical and professional training.
The Digital Engineering Graduate Programme will be based within the Technology Department at the Severn Trent Centre, in the heart of Coventry City Centre.
With excellent transport links to the city, we’re only a short walk away from rail and bus stations, and with around 1500 members of staff on site, we’re proud of the facilities on offer for our staff on site.
What's on offer
During the 2-year programme, you’ll develop expertise in some of the following areas:
- Solution and Architecture design -you’ll be liaising with various stakeholders across the business to design IT solutions that are cost effective, in line with our strategic principles and meet the needs of both our customers and the business
- Cloud Engineering – you’ll develop a keen understanding of the Azure public cloud by deploying infrastructure and applications, setting up networks, monitoring and evaluating; either through traditional means or by leveraging digital technologies like Terraform and Kubernetes all while ensuring that the business is getting the best value for money possible from our cloud estate by optimising both cost and performance
- Digital Engineering – You’ll work with our team of talented digital developers to build applications that our customers and the business rely on every day. You’ll also spend time working with the DevOps team, working to embed the DevOps culture at the heart of everything that we do
- Championing the Digital Engineering Graduate Programme – you’ll ensure that whenever we implement a design, build some infrastructure or deploy an application that it is being done in accordance with our strategic principles and guard rails
- Effective communication – you’ll gain experience working with stakeholders of various levels in Severn Trent on projects, applications and solution design opportunities. We’ll help you to develop your communication skills to make sure that your ideas are realised
The skills applicants need
Don’t worry, you don’t have to come into the role knowing everything, but what is important is that you have some foundational technical ability (that could be experience with a modern programming language like Python or knowledge and experience using a Cloud platform) as well as a keen interest in technology, and an underlying desire to understand how everything stacks in a medium enterprise. This includes the ability to learn from others, and apply your skills to new, and sometimes time-critical issues.
Above all, you will have a passion for building, writing and implementing technical solutions to meet the needs of our customers.
Applications are welcome from across all disciplines.
What we can offer you:
- Personal development – here at Severn Trent we want to provide you with all the chances to develop yourself – from communication, to analytical and time-management skills
- Mastery of digital engineering concepts, theories and techniques – you will learn these with support from our experienced and highly talented team
- Certificated and universally recognised security training – including Microsoft Azure certifications in Solutions design, Engineering and DevOps
- We have recently moved to a SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework) within the Technology Department – you will have the opportunity to learn and follow the concepts of this framework which has been adopted by many established businesses around the world
- Responsibilities as of day 1 – you will be self-managing and ensuring effective delivery to deadlines
- Core development training modules throughout the 2-year programme, enabling you to continually develop professionally
Strong customer focus with the ability to build lasting business relationships.
Attention to detail and analytical skills to find and fix the root cause of a problem.
Strong interest in, and experience using technical IT skills.
A passion for technology and the ambition to continually improve our operational processes.
Our entry criteria for this programme is a completed degree, across all disciplines. A technical discipline is preferred, but not essential.
Wonderful for all
We’re building an inclusive company that reflects the communities we serve. Together we’ve created a culture that encourages all of our people to approach every single day as an opportunity to do something better.
Our most ambitious goals depend on forward-thinking ideas, no matter who they come from. As employers, we welcome and celebrate people from all walks of life and want people to feel like they can bring their true self to work.