Thank you for your interest. We are no longer accepting applications for this programme, with the last date for applications submitted on Sunday 21st March 2021.
Business Leadership Programme
This programme is part of a much bigger journey with Severn Trent, one that will guide you through three unique placements, to gain the leadership skills to enable us to we aspire to.
Location: Coventry ( will need to travel)
Programme duration: 27 months
What you'll be doing
Along the way, you’ll learn about every aspect of our business, providing clean water and removing waste water safely – provide an essential public service, to millions of homes and businesses across the Severn Trent Region.
During the programme, you’ll work side-by-side with teams, leaders and technical experts in various different areas of the Severn Trent business, completing three placements, lasting nine months each, which will expose you to the following core areas:
You’ll expand your knowledge, enhance your skills, and become a versatile expert in all that makes our business flow. As you take each new step, you’ll find a firm foundation to support you.
Development and growth during your 3, 9 month placements is at the forefront of mind, and to support you, you’ll also experience:
- Induction activities development modules throughout the 27 months
- Group Challenges – Aimed at bringing cohorts together and working on key projects that impact our business
- Line Manager development planning specific to your needs, and the placement you’re completing
- Mentoring – to help and support you manage your own learning and development, to maximise your potential, and to accelerate development, role modelling behaviours, values and leadership expectations
Our purpose is to deliver one of life's essentials. This is how you'll help us to achieve it:
- Tackle challenging placements across different disciplines and business areas
- Partner with your Line Manager to map out your professional journey
- Drive your own learning and stretch your knowledge
- Gain practical experience by taking on impactful, business-critical roles
- Develop the knowledge and confidence to become a potential all-round future leader or technical expert
Most importantly, you’ll make a real, lasting difference to the lives of people and communities, across the UK. Water shapes every aspect of our lives. Your leadership, the initiatives you start and the projects you run will have a direct impact on our world, not just now, but far into the future.
Before you start the programme, we will discuss your interests, aspirations and abilities, as we identify a suitable first placement. We’ll then create a tailored development plan that will get you the exposure to gain leadership skills, considering placements that will match your ambitions, and aligning your personal vision with Severn Trent’s purpose and values.
- Open to new ideas and challenging perspectives
- Demonstrate courage, curiosity and a drive to learn
- The ability to deal with and adjust to change
- The confidence to work both independently and as part of a team
Entry Criteria / Qualifications
We understand that not everything go’s to plan when you’re studying. As an inclusive employer, we want to provide opportunity for all, and for this reason, we have removed our academic attainment criteria. We accept applications from all degree disciplines, with any grade qualification.
Wonderful for all
We’re building an inclusive company. We’ve created a culture that encourages all of our people to think of every single day as an opportunity to do something better.
Our most ambitious goals depend on forward-thinking ideas, no matter who they come from.
As employers, we welcome people from all walks of life and promote diversity and inclusion.
Hear more from our Graduate - Ciaran about the Business Leadership Scheme and the opportunities it has offered him!