Thank you for your interest. We are no longer accepting applications for this programme, with the last date for applications submitted on Sunday 21st March 2021.
Apprentice Farming Liaison Officer Level 6
Bioresources are responsible for the transportation and treatment of sludge (organic material recovered from waste water). We convert 5.7 million wet tonnes of it each year into enough renewable energy to power over 60,000 homes and we subsequently recycle 600,000 tonnes of Biosolids out to farmland as a nutrient rich fertiliser.
Locations: Flexible (will need to travel)
Apprenticeship Programme: Agriculture Professional Advisor
Apprenticeship Level: 6 - Degree Apprenticeship
Equivalent to: Full Bachelors degree
Programme Duration: 3 years
What you'll be doing
Our Bioresources business was successfully launched in May 2018 ready for the opening of the sludge market in 2020. Our ambition is to be the number one Bioresources business in the UK by 2025 and we have exciting plans to achieve this.
Within Bioresources our logistics team transport sludge from Severn Trent’s sewage treatment works to our bespoke sludge treatment sites where we treat sludge, converting it to energy and Biosolids – a high quality fertiliser that farmers use to spread on fields. We aim to sell and recycle all of our Biosolids products back into agriculture, supplying value nutrients back into the environment and delivering high levels of service and good quality of Biosolids to all our customers while protecting the environment too.
This is an exciting time to join Severn Trent and our Bioresources business. Growing on our already successful relationships built within the farming and agricultural industry, we’re providing an awesome development programme, aimed at those looking to develop an in-depth understanding of the agricultural industry, specifically related to the agronomic sector.
This would include developing expertise in areas, including nutrient management, crop rotations, sustainable farm practices and fertiliser spreading.
You'll be someone who'll demonstrate Severn Trent values, as you work towards your Agriculture Professional Advisor degree, whilst developing skills in customer contact and communication, as you look to take ownership of customer sales and a customer land bank.
During your apprenticeship, you will:
- Ensure health and safety is considered in all decision-making activities, driving towards a goal of zero incidents.
- Take ownership of a personal development plan to successfully achieve the academic requirements of the scheme.
- Work with the Biosolids recycling team to provide reliable 12-month, 3 month, weekly and daily recycling plans, outlining the most effective route by which to recycle ST Biosolids products.
- Conduct environmental and health & safety audits on the operational work being completed.
- Accurately create environmental and H&S risk assessments related to the operational activity of recycling Biosolids to land to include extensive field walking and associated land mapping.
- Work with related teams to identify improvement activities in the end to end process, in order to maximise outputs while minimising inputs.
- Act as an ambassador of Severn Trent and ST Biosolids to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Create a strong and sustained network of customers ensuring the brand is promoted while communicating reliable, up to date and informed agricultural advice.
- Have the technical ability to complete specialist compliance tasks such as issuing authorisations and being able to review compliance by both Severn Trent and our contractors with; the Biosolids Assurance Scheme (BAS), Severn Trent policies and procedures, Sludge Use in Agriculture Regulations (SUiAR) and all other relevant legislation / codes of practice.
The starting salary for this programme is £16,807.
How we'll support you
Training, development and the skills applicants need
Your apprenticeship will allow you to develop the skills and experience that you’ll require to become an expert Farming Liaison Officer within our Bioresources teams. During this time, you’ll combine on-the-job learning with formal, nationally recognised development training to gain your level 6 degree apprenticeship. As this programme has a focus on the development of knowledge and key skills to be successful in the future, this programme is open to all candidates.
We would however, expect that you will have:
- Knowledge of agricultural industry and British arable farming. This could be through the completion of an agriculture related further education course.
- Experience of the operational side of UK arable farming.
We’re hugely excited to offer this apprenticeship. It’s important to recognise that, in order to succeed in this role, you’ll need to demonstrate commitment and enthusiasm to develop skills related to agronomy. You’ll also be someone who is:
- A self-motivator in completing the academic side of the apprentice scheme while keeping focus on the day-to-day job.
- Pragmatic in decision making while having the confidence to ask advice if unsure.
- Comfortable using IS software packages to complete work including basic mapping tools.
- Able to deliver excellent communication skills across a diverse range of audiences, remaining comfortable dealing with internal and external stakeholders.
- Happy to work outside. You’ll complete risk assessments across farmland, in various weather conditions
- Confident interacting and engaging within the agricultural industry while demonstrating a clear understanding of the agricultural industry & environment.
- Courageous in challenging the identification of problems, risks and issues in producing resolutions or mitigation plans.
- Curious to learn and update your own knowledge and share regarding changing legislation, regulation and practices within water and agricultural industries.
- Comfortable managing large amounts of data in accordance with Severn Trent policies & procedures.
- Flexible regarding working hours. You'll need to effectively manage your own workload to meet the requirements of the role and agricultural customers and stakeholders.
- Able to take the initiative to build relationships both within the direct team and the wider Bioresources team.
- Able to travel to various locations across the Severn Trent region.
To help you drive and own your career progression, we’ll provide you with a Personal Development Plan. This will be set and agreed with your line manager and reviewed regularly in performance reviews.
This apprenticeship follows the apprenticeship standards set out by the Institute of Apprenticeships.
Wonderful for all
We’re building an inclusive company. We’ve created a culture that encourages all of our people to think of every single day as an opportunity to do something better.
Our most ambitious goals depend on forward-thinking ideas, no matter who they come from. As employers, we welcome people from all walks of life and promote diversity and inclusion.